Monday 1 March 2010

Prostitution.

Whenever I hear people discussing prostitution it is always in a negative manner, as if being a prostitute is the lowest of the low that a woman can reach. However, this is something I disagree with.

I went to "politics.co.uk" to look up the "facts" surrounding prostitution, http://www.politics.co.uk/briefings-guides/issue-briefs/policing-and-crime/prostitution-$366674.htm, and I found some interesting facts to back up my argument.

Firstly, "prostitution itself is not illegal but there are a number of offences linked to it." Therefore, prostitution could be classed as a job just like any other. As the saying goes, prostitution is the oldest profession.

Also,"Although there are exceptions, most prostitutes are women selling their services to men." A person of either gender can be a prostitute, it's just uncommon (or perhaps just less heard of) for a man.

And, "There are estimated to be around 80,000 people involved in prostitution in the UK." Surely, it can't be so "low" if so many people are involved, baring in mind that is just the figure for the UK.

But on top of this I also think we should take into account the individual who takes on the role of a prostitute. I've heard people talk about the poor girl, with low self esteem and pretty much zero reasons to live turning to prostitution as a last resort, however, personally I think this is wrong. I believe prostitutes have an amazing amount of confidence to do what they do. I mean would people with zero confidence and self esteem really think they were capable to please a customer enough to earn their pay? I've also heard people say that it's the easy way out of a financial situation, and although this may be the way they get the money I doubt it's easy. Surely this job is about making your client happy and well every client is different, surely it can't be that easy to have to adjust that quickly and flawlessly. Prostitutes aren't just sex personified, they're actors too! Plus, I think they are well in their right to set a high price. Your body is your own and you know it's value, so if anyone has the right to put on price on it, it should be the owner.

Basically, what I trying to say is that prostitution should not be so disapproved of, it's way that many people make money and well to be able to go through with it shows a very strong and confident person. Just the kind of thing that most job applications ask for. At least prostitutes are earning their own money and not necessarily turning to theft or other more criminal and offensive activities and if "everyone" thinks so badly of prostitutes, why are they always in business?

No comments:

Post a Comment