Saturday 6 March 2010

Film: Kids (1995)

‘ Truly, what people have said about Kids (1995) is more disturbing than anything put on the screen.’

Watching this film as part of my University course was actually my second viewing and the above statement for me was one of the best and probably most truthful statements about this film that I have ever read.

Before the film began my friends were a buzz, recalling for me all the "horrors" they had heard about this film. I couldn't believe how sucked in and genuinely scared they were about watching it, but after doing some research now, I can see why.

Most of what you read about the film "Kids", I believe, is there to disturb you and turn you off watching the film before you've even come into contact with it. I mean I generally find the Internet Movie Database (imdb) a reliable source when discussing movies, but even their "key words" about the film give off the same vibes as the rest of the articles and reviews.

e.g Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113540/keywords

I mean that put "Teen", "Drugs", "Virgin", "Sex" and "Disturbing" in the top ten of that list.

I find it all a little extreme and overly exaggerated personally. There are reasons for all of these and more to be included in the film, it's not just a film made to disturb you for life and nothing more, if you're looking for that why not try the Saw films?... but I'm getting off track. I'll come back to this later.

I told my friends that yes the film was shocking and rather explicit with the way it deals with the issues and "bad behaviour". However, I reassured them that they'd still be able to sleep that night and hearing there comments on their way out of the cinema... I wasn't wrong.

In fact for every "disturbing" moment in Kids I believe I could suggest a valid reason for its inclusion in the film and also an argument why an audience of various ages could benefit from a viewing of it.

What makes the film so "shocking" is the way that it explicitly shows "bad behaviour" that may be better described as taboo issues. But isn't that the problem here? The issues explored are only shocking to viewers because they are taboo within society and therefore unheard of in everyday life thus making them mysterious, "the unknown" and to some individuals even appealing. My point is, I believe this film should not be banned or classed as "bad", "disgusting" or "inappropriate" but actually an educational viewing for both teenagers and parents.

I see the film as a way for teenagers to experience such "bad behaviour" with the inclusion of consequences in a way that leaves them out of danger. "Kids" takes much of the glamour away from such immoral behaviour which should prevent many teenagers from practicing themselves.

Also adults watching the film would benefit as it will make them more aware of the type of world their children are or can be exposed too. They'll be more awar of what could and does go on and perhaps have a better understanding of their own teenagers needs, wants and also troubles and concerns.

Overall, I agree that "Kids" is not a film to be watched for entertainment purposes alone but is a film that could be a benefit to many viewers if watched in an educational context.

1 comment:

  1. The most disturbing thing about kids for me was the total nihilism of the final scene. The only male character with any redeemable features turns out to be a rapist. That's dark. The film did, however, remind me a lot of the group i used to knock around with when i was 16, obviously my group wasn't as extreme but it certainly displayed similar 'pack' behaviour. Whether Kids is a useful educational tool for parents i'm not so sure. I think the switched on ones know that this stuff exists already and the ones who have lived more sheltered lives probably wouldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete