Sunday 28 February 2010

Religous Discrimination.

I like to think of myself of a person who supports equality of every kind. I think issues that still continue around different religion in these modern times are terrible. So you can imagine my shock when I heard about the protests, so close to my home, against the building of a mosque in Dudley town.




http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/7549964/Violent-clashes-at-mosque-protest.html

"Some demonstrators held placards reading ''Muslim bombers off our streets'' and ''Say no to the mosque''."

When I heard about this protest I was appalled, especially with their use of inclusive pronouns like "our". I'm from Dudley, those streets are mine as much as theirs yet I didn't want them "off our streets". When petitioners came to our door about this my parents wouldn't let me answer as they knew how I would react to our elderly and otherwise quite reserved neighbours. I couldn't believe why everyone seemed so against something that didn't concern them. Just they didn't belong to or understand the Muslim religion they didn't want it. Would they have been the same if the plans were to build another church?

I personally believe these protests do not go in favour of... well anything at all. Yes, I suppose these riots were "bad behaviour" with a cause but to me the cause was not a legitimate one. These protesters are going to have to live side by side the Muslims for probably the rest of their lives, mosque or no mosque. We not let things run more smoothly and let them build something which they have obviously have to gain planning permission for first anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment