Monday 26 April 2010

Blackmail


When someone mentions blackmail to me I naively think about the less extreme cases, like your friend saying they'll put that terrible picture of you on Facebook if you don't come down the pub tonight. If this was the case, I'd be all in favour of blackmail, it definitely means it would be easy to get some of my friends to come out sometimes and also a good laugh when they don't!

But then I researched and found out the laws and extreme cases of blackmail and now I'm not so sure.

One interesting and rather scandalous case I found was about David Letterman and how he was blackmailed by his producer. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8558781.stm)

"The attempt prompted Mr Letterman to make an on-air confession about his affairs with production staff."

From this statement alone I could perhaps agree with the blackmail because Letterman had committed infidelity. However, I don't think these possible consquences were worth it...

"Mr Halderman agreed to a plea bargain in which he will serve six months in prison, perform 1,000 hours of community service and give up his right to appeal against his conviction. He will be formally sentenced in May.

He could have faced up to 15 years in prison had he gone to trial and been convicted."


Blackmail, I think it's ok when done light heartedly and as a bit of joke between friends. But serious blackmail leads to serious conciquences which I personally don't believe are worth the orginal action.

No comments:

Post a Comment